Tuesday, August 31, 2010

THE LORD ALONE!


Scripture

Isaiah 2:12-17 (NRSV)

Pride shall be brought low

For the Lord of hosts has a day
against all that is proud and lofty,
against all that is lifted up and high;
against all the cedars of Lebanon,
lofty and lifted up;
and against all the oaks of Bashan;
against all the high mountains,
and against all the lofty hills;
against every high tower,
and against every fortified wall;
against all the ships of Tarshish,
and against all the beautiful craft.
The haughtiness of people shall be humbled,
and the pride of everyone shall be brought low;
and the Lord alone will be exalted on that day.


DEVOTION

What strikes me very clearly in Isaiah's prophesy is the statement, "The haughtiness of people shall be humbled, and the pride of everyone shall be brought low; and THE LORD ALONE will be exalted on that day."

Won't that be a grand day?! No longer will money, fame, power, and/or privilege be lifted up; instead, the lord alone will be exalted! No longer will houses, cars, phones, tennis shoes, and purses be coveted; instead the Lord alone will be exalted. No longer will vacation homes, cabins, boats, cruises, and private airplanes be cherished, the Lord alone will be exalted. No longer will politicians, musicians, businessmen, and actors be applauded; the Lord alone will be exalted...

I could go on and on, but I know you get my point! It will be a great and glorious day when all of the stuff that we put false hope in falls away and all that is left is THE LORD ALONE.

We can live into the promise of that great day by choosing to humble ourselves before Almighty God and seeking to have a right--and stewardship--relationship toward all of our possessions. If we only remember that all that we have, and all that we are, belongs to God, we will quickly realize that if anyone should be glorified--it is THE LORD ALONE.

When I was growing up we sang a song; its chorus was "To God be the glory! To God be the glory! To God be the glory, great things He has done!"

Today, let us steadfastly fix our hearts on exalting THE LORD ALONE, as we do so, our lights will shine in darkness and others will come running asking, "What must I do to be saved?!"


Let us pray: Oh holy one! Give me a heart and mind to exalt only you and to banish from the real estate of my heart anything that I have set up as an idol for worship. I don't want to wait for you to humble me; give me the courage and wisdom to humble myself as I share the good news that, Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again! In His Name, Amen.



INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment