Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Will Love You Still...

SCRIPTURE

Hebrews 12:3-17 (NRSV)
Call for endurance

Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as children -
"My child, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
or lose heart when you are punished by him;
for the Lord disciplines those whom he loves,
and chastises every child whom he accepts."

Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline? If you do not have that discipline in which all children share, then you are illegitimate and not his children. Moreover, we had human parents to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not be even more willing to be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share his holiness. Now, discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble, and through it many become defiled. See to it that no one becomes like Esau, an immoral and godless person, who sold his birthright for a single meal. You know that later, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, even though he sought the blessing with tears.


DEVOTION

Yesterday I had the opportunity to cause much harm to some folks who consider themselves my enemies. These folks have done all that they know to do to harm me and to destroy my reputation. I was presented a perfect chance to pay them back evil for evil yesterday and I simply could not do it!

Long ago I determined that I would attempt to love those who hate me and pray for those who seek to do me harm. So instead of hurting them as they hurt me, I did what they did not deserve and chose to love and protect them at all costs.

In today's scripture reading the author of Hebrews writes, "
Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble..."

This is wise advise indeed!

It is my desire to be at peace with everyone; I am aware that non-Christians will know that I am Christian by my love. It is my prayer that I will pursue holiness through the power of the holy spirit and that I will never let the root of bitterness spring up in my heart.

There will be many who do us harm, but we can choose how we respond to them. As we choose love instead of hate, help instead of harm, blessing instead of cursing, we may have the opportunity to win them to Christ!

I am not perfect and I'm going to screw up in my pursuit of peace from time to time, but when I do I will confess my sin, receive God's forgiveness, and try-try-again!

Someone once told me, "I hate you, what you are you going to do about it?" I answered, "I will love you still..."

This is what our Lord and Savior chose to do when he died upon the cross to atone for our sin and gift us with eternal life and it is what I am trying to do every single day in response to my own enemies.

Let us pray:

Lord, please help me to love the unlovable and to serve those who hate me with joy! Please help me to pursue peace with everyone and never to allow the root of unforgiveness and bitterness to spring up in my heart. Please help me to be the hands, feet, heart, and smile of Jesus to everyone whom I meet. I pray this in Your Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment