Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Be Glad in the Lord


SCRIPTURE

Psalm 32 (NRSV)

Prayer for forgiveness

Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

While I kept silence, my body wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
Selah

Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,"
and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Selah

Therefore let all who are faithful
offer prayer to you;
at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters
shall not reach them.
You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.
Selah

I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle,
else it will not stay near you.

Many are the torments of the wicked,
but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous,
and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.


DEVOTION

Today's scripture reading reminds me of the importance of coming clean with God when we mess up.

Of course, when we confess our sin, we are not telling God something that God does not already know.

Rather, we are humbling ourselves before Almighty God, acknowledging that we have sinned against God (and perhaps others) and seeking forgiveness for failing to live into love.

When we do not confess our sin--if we are people of conscience--we feel miserable, guilty, and sick. When we confess our sin, God is faithful and just to forgive our sin and cleanse us of all unrighteousness!

Forgiven people are happy people. Forgiven people are joyful people. Forgiven people are glad people!

It is never healthy to carry around a burden of guilt. It will eat you up from the inside.

It is always better to cast yourself into the net of God's amazing grace and unconditional love.

Remember, you can never ever do anything to make God stop loving you. You can't out sin, out fox, or out run the love of God that has been revealed to us in Christ Jesus!

Here's the simple good news in plain language. God's great love for us led Jesus to die on the cross to pay for our sin and gift us with eternal life.

This gift is free. It is available to all. Anyone can receive it. All that we are required to do is trust the gift of LOVE, as we place all of our hope in Jesus!


If you would like to put all of your hope in Jesus, confess your sin, and accept the free gift of eternal life, let us pray:

Dear God, I know you love me and I love you too. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and that you raised him from the dead! Please forgive all of my sins and fill me with your Holy Spirit. I truly want to be right with you and to experience the gladness that comes from knowing and loving Jesus! I pray this in Your Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you are saved! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would take a moment to click "YES" in answer to the survey question "Did you put all of your hope in Jesus today?" located at the top-right-hand corner of this blog.

Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment