Thursday, September 2, 2010

Best Friends Forever (My BFF)

SCRIPTURE

Philippians 2:25-30 (NRSV)

Welcome a faithful servant home

Still, I think it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus - my brother and co-worker and fellow soldier, your messenger and minister to my need; for he has been longing for all of you, and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. He was indeed so ill that he nearly died. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, so that I would not have one sorrow after another. I am the more eager to send him, therefore, in order that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. Welcome him then in the Lord with all joy, and honor such people, because he came close to death for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for those services that you could not give me.


DEVOTION

Today I want to encourage all of us to take a moment to thank God for our Christian friends! A Christian friend is a person who knows and loves the Lord and is willing to be a friend in good times and bad.

When you have a friend, sent by the Lord, you have a friend indeed! This person will not abandon you when times get tough. They aren't afraid of you when you are not at your best and they know how to get a prayer through when you really need it!

A Christian friend will encourage you along the way, speak truth to you when you need it most, rebuke you when necessary, and love you at all times.

I have a couple of friends like this and I am so grateful for them every day! More than that, I strive to be a friend like this to others.

Honestly, we all do our best to love our friends well...But, let us never forget that it is JESUS who is a friend who will stick closer than any brother. It is JESUS who loves us so much that he lived, died, and lives again in order to make atonement for our sin and gift us with eternal life. And it is JESUS who even now intercedes for us at the right hand of God.

If you're looking for a best friend forever, may I recommend Jesus? He will never let you down!


Let's pray: Dear God, thank you for Jesus who is my best friend. Please teach me to be a friend by following His example. I love you and I want others to love you too. Please help me to share our friendship with others. In Jesus Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment