Monday, September 13, 2010

BIG LOVE

SCRIPTURE

Amos 7:1-6 (NRSV)

God relents from punishing Israel

This is what the Lord God showed me: he was forming locusts at the time the latter growth began to sprout (it was the latter growth after the king's mowings). When they had finished eating the grass of the land, I said,
"O Lord God, forgive, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!"
The Lord relented concerning this;
"It shall not be," said the Lord.

This is what the Lord God showed me: the Lord God was calling for a shower of fire, and it devoured the great deep and was eating up the land. Then I said,
"O Lord God, cease, I beg you!
How can Jacob stand?
He is so small!"
The Lord relented concerning this;
"This also shall not be," said the Lord God.


DEVOTION

This morning I am thrilled to be reminded that I am small and God is big.

Some days, I desperately need this reminder. It is so easy to get a case of the "big head" when things are going well and we begin to feel like we don't need God.

Other times, I don't need this reminder at all. When the trials and tribulations of life are crushing me down and I don't know where to turn, I run to The Rock, knowing that God's "biggness" and strength will protect me.

Finally, at all times, I know that I rely on the intercessory prayer of Jesus who prays on my behalf, "O Lord, God, forgive and cease I beg you! For she is so small..."

I don't know about you, but I am so grateful for Jesus' willingness to take my sin upon himself in order to insure the forgiveness of my sin and gift me with eternal life. Because Jesus was willing to pray from the cross, "Father forgive them; they know not what they do...", we live as a forgiven people.

We are small, but God's Unconditional Love and Amazing Grace are big! I am so thankful for God's BIG LOVE that looks beyond my faults and sees my needs!


Let us pray: Glory to God in the Highest! I worship you today! You are such a good, loving, and forgiving God. I fall into the net of your Amazing Grace. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit that I might worship you in Spirit and in Truth. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment