Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome Sinners

SCRIPTURE

Luke 15:1-10 (NRSV)
Lost sheep and lost coin

Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to him. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, "This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them."

So he told them this parable: "Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

"Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.' Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."


DEVOTION

It always tickles me down to my toes when I read this sentence in scripture: "This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them."

It strikes me as funny because it is inherently sinful and judgmental on the part of others, to despair because Jesus is choosing to welcome and eat with "sinners."

I, for one, am thrilled that Jesus chooses to welcome sinners!

Since we know that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and there is none righteous, no not one, then we know that ALL of us need the radical welcome of Christ!

It amazes me that the King of Kings took on flesh and dwelt amongst us. It astounds me that instead of cavorting with the rich, famous, and good--he chose to associate with the poor, outcast, and sinful!

I am further confounded by the fact that not only did Jesus choose to live amongst us, he chose to DIE for us, boldly going to an old rugged cross and dying in our stead.

Calvary is the most wonderful love story of God's Amazing Grace!

Aren't you glad that Jesus lived? Aren't you glad/sad that Jesus died? And aren't you ecstatic that he lives again!

For our Jesus did not stay dead, but was resurrected on the third day, just like he promised that he would. What a wonderful savior!

Today, I thank God with all my heart that Jesus welcomes sinners--SUCH AS ME.


Let us pray: Oh God! Your grace is amazing and your love washes over me in waves! Thank you for giving Jesus to die on the cross to make atonement for my sin and gift me with eternal life. Please forgive my sin and thank you for inviting me to your welcome table. I am so thrilled about this good news; I pledge to share it with others! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment