Saturday, September 11, 2010

REAL LOVE...

SCRIPTURE

John 10:11-21 (NRSV)

Jesus, the good shepherd

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away - and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father."

Again the Jews were divided because of these words. Many of them were saying, "He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him?" Others were saying, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"


DEVOTION--Today is Saturday Psalmody; the mediation is offered as a psalm from my heart! If you would like a more traditional devotion, please search the archives for a title that appeals to you! (smile)


REAL LOVE...

I have been tended
by many hirelings
They said they loved me
but when the going got tough
They got going
shoving me into the mouth
of the wolf
on the way out of the door
They had no claim on me
no investment
no care
Just hirelings...
talking a good talk
but failing to walk a good walk
when I needed them most
Thank God
for the Good Shepherd
who never left me
never forsook me
Never thrust me
into the mouth of a
ravenous beast
to save his own hide
Instead, he protected me
valiant
courageous
brave
unto death...
Now I know who loves me
The one who chose to die
rather than let me go
Now that's real love
That's my Shepherd.

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment