Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Fair Balance

SCRIPTURE

2 Corinthians 8:8-15 (NRSV)

Christ became poor

I do not say this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love against the earnestness of others. For you know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich. And in this matter I am giving my advice: it is appropriate for you who began last year not only to do something but even to desire to do something - now finish doing it, so that your eagerness may be matched by completing it according to your means. For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has - not according to what one does not have. I do not mean that there should be relief for others and pressure on you, but it is a question of a fair balance between your present abundance and their need, so that their abundance may be for your need, in order that there may be a fair balance. As it is written,
"The one who had much did not have too much,
and the one who had little did not have too little."


DEVOTION

Ah! I am so convicted by the statement,
"The one who had much did not have too much,
and the one who had little did not have too little."

Herein is God's most excellent economy and yet many Christians choose to operate outside of the rules seeking to amass great wealth from the hand of God, but not sharing it out with others.

I am ashamed that although I am a tither, I know that I could do more! Yesterday I went to www.globalrichlist.com and discovered that I am among the top 1% of the world's most wealthiest people!

Even an American family of four on the poverty line, making $22,050 per year, are among the world's top 11% earners.

It is clear to me that I can do more; we ALL can do more to alleviate the suffering of our brothers and sisters around the world--most of whom live on less than $2 per day!

Jesus gives us the most wonderful example of a willingness to give his wealth away! Paul articulated it well when he said, "
For you know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich."

Jesus chose to leave heaven's streets of gold, pearly gates, and opulent throne room, in order to be born in a stable, become a common carpenter's son, have no home to call his own, and ultimately be executed on two pieces of wood.

It is the most amazing story of generosity, grace, and love anyone has ever heard! And it is true!

It has been said that "to whom much is given, much is required (Luke 12:48)!" For those of us blessed with much it is right and proper that we seek the wisdom of God regarding how to share our wealth with others!

In the words of the Apostle Paul, "I do not mean that there should be relief for others and pressure on you, but it is a question of a fair balance between your present abundance and their need, so that their abundance may be for your need, in order that there may be a fair balance."

Lord, establish balance on your earth and let it begin with me!


Let us pray:

Good and Gracious Lord, please use me as an instrument of your peace and justice. Please help me to give my life and wealth away in service to you. Please forgive me for being greedy and selfish in the past. Please empower me to do more in care of the poor. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta


WAYS YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

http://www.care.org/

http://www.kiva.org/










No comments:

Post a Comment