Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Come! Follow Me!

SCRIPTURE

Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist
Matthew 9:9-13 (NRSV)

As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he got up and followed him.
And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" But when he heard this, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners."


DEVOTION

When I read today's scripture, I like to imagine that I can insert my own name and story in the same place as Matthew's name.

For example, "
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a woman called Yolanda sitting on the phone gossiping; and he said to her, "Follow me." And she got up and followed him.

You may wish to insert your own name and particular vice/sin and her Jesus' words, "Follow me."

Isn't it grand that Jesus invites all of us to be his followers?

Our critics are right! We are sinners! But, Jesus says, "
Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners."

I am so glad that Jesus chooses to fellowship with sinners! Although the self-righteous may take exception, God has proven God's love toward us by allowing Jesus to die on the cross in order to make atonement for our sin and gift us with eternal life!

The truth is, "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God!" There is none righteous, no not one!

It does my heart good to know that God has a heart for the sinner! No matter what you have done, or how you have messed up, or who you have heart, God's arms stand wide open in love and forgiveness!

All you need to do is run into those arms of safety, mercy and love! In the shelter of God's arms you will find the grace you need to accept God's love and to share it with others!

Won't you do that today? Jesus is calling..."Sinner, follow me!"


Let us pray:

Dear God, I know that you love me and I love you too. I believe that Jesus died on the cross and that you raised him from the dead! Please forgive all of my sins and fill me with your Holy Spirit. Thank you for inviting me to become your follower. I will go wherever you lead me! I pray this in Jesus’ Name, Amen.


SPECIAL NOTE

If you just prayed that prayer for the first time, today, you have become a follower of Christ! Let me encourage you to tell a Christian friend that you just put all of your hope in Jesus. Ask him or her to help you find a Bible that is easy for you to understand and to find a good Bible believing church where you can be baptized and make new friends who will walk with you on your Christian journey!

I would be honored if you would take a moment to click "YES" in answer to the survey question "Did you put all of your hope in Jesus today?" located at the top-right-hand corner of this blog.

Congratulations and Happy Re-birthday! Your salvation is our GOOD NEWS, please go and share the GOOD NEWS with others!







No comments:

Post a Comment