Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An "Abigail" Voice...

1 Samuel 25:23-35 (NRSV)

Abigail pleads for life

When Abigail saw David, she hurried and alighted from the donkey, fell before David on her face, bowing to the ground. She fell at his feet and said, "Upon me alone, my lord, be the guilt; please let your servant speak in your ears, and hear the words of your servant. My lord, do not take seriously this ill-natured fellow, Nabal; for as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him; but I, your servant, did not see the young men of my lord, whom you sent.

Now then, my lord, as the Lord lives, and as you yourself live, since the Lord has restrained you from bloodguilt and from taking vengeance with your own hand, now let your enemies and those who seek to do evil to my lord be like Nabal. And now let this present that your servant has brought to my lord be given to the young men who follow my lord. Please forgive the trespass of your servant; for the Lord will certainly make my lord a sure house, because my lord is fighting the battles of the Lord; and evil shall not be found in you so long as you live. If anyone should rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living under the care of the Lord your God; but the lives of your enemies he shall sling out as from the hollow of a sling. When the Lord has done to my lord according to all the good that he has spoken concerning you, and has appointed you prince over Israel, my lord shall have no cause of grief, or pangs of conscience, for having shed blood without cause or for having saved himself. And when the Lord has dealt well with my lord, then remember your servant."

David said to Abigail, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who sent you to meet me today! Blessed be your good sense, and blessed be you, who have kept me today from bloodguilt and from avenging myself by my own hand! For as surely as the Lord the God of Israel lives, who has restrained me from hurting you, unless you had hurried and come to meet me, truly by morning there would not have been left to Nabal so much as one male." Then David received from her hand what she had brought him; he said to her, "Go up to your house in peace; see, I have heeded your voice, and I have granted your petition."


DEVOTION

Ha!

In today's WWF culture, we often celebrate and encourage violence. When we know that there is conflict between persons, we often take perverse joy in stirring it up and stoking the fires for our own entertainment.

It is a sad circumstance that more Christians do no function as an "Abigail voice" in our culture and society.

As followers of The Way and children of the King of Love, it is our duty and delight to speak a word of love, peace, and forgiveness where there is threat of conflict.

The Spirit teaches us what to say and in Wisdom speaks to the hearts of those who hear us.

I love the fact that as Christians we are reconcilers! We who have been reconciled with God, through Christ, now have a ministry of reconciliation with others!

Today, may we take up the valor, courage, and boldness of Abigail as we speak truth to power that all of our neighbors may dwell in peace with one another, and most importantly with God!


Let us pray: Oh Lord! Please make me a reconciler. Please forgive me for the many times that I have failed to listen to and heed the Abigail voice of another, taking perverse pleasure in fighting with others. I know that you are Peace and that you desire for us to be peace-makers. Please embolden me by your Holy Spirit to speak truth this day as I boldly declare the good news that "Christ has died! Christ has risen! Christ shall come again!" In Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment