Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Eternal Weight of Glory!

SCRIPTURE

Psalm 3 (NRSV)

Deliverance comes from God

O Lord, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
many are saying to me,
"There is no help for you in God."
Selah

But you, O Lord, are a shield around me,
my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.
I cry aloud to the Lord,
and he answers me from his holy hill.
Selah

I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, for the Lord sustains me.
I am not afraid of ten thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.

Rise up, O Lord!
Deliver me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
you break the teeth of the wicked.

Deliverance belongs to the Lord;
may your blessing be on your people!
Selah


DEVOTION

Today I am truly encouraged by the scripture reading for I am facing many challenges in my life.

Sometimes, when I look at all that there is do, I begin to panic and I worry that I will never get everything done!

I'm sure you've experienced something similar; Just in my house alone, we are currently dealing with the fall-out from a car accident and the need to heal injuries, the advent of new family members, and all of the usual ups-and-downs that come with married life and children!

To add insult to injury, because I am human, there are definitely some people in my life who do not like me and are actively wishing me ill.

All of this sounds so very discouraging until I remember the words, "But you, O Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts up my head. I cry aloud to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy hill."

I love that God is my glory! I don't have to walk around with my head hanging low--downcast, depressed, or anxious. I do not have to worry about physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual attack--for God is a shield around me!

Every day I try to remind myself that we serve a good, great, mighty, strong, omnipotent and omniscient God who can do anything but fail!

This knowledge fills me with the blessed assurance that although my trials are annoying, they are nothing compared to the eternal weight of glory that comes from a love relationship with God through Jesus Christ!

Despite any hardship, trial, or tribulation that I may be facing right now, I know beyond a shadow of doubt that because I am in Christ,all of my stories will end, "And she lived happily ever after..."

Now, ain'ta that good news?!


Let us pray: Oh God, the weight of this life is pressing down on me and I am so very tired. Help me to know and believe that you are my glory and the lifter of my head. I turn all of my worries and fears over to you, in Jesus' Name, Amen!


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta



No comments:

Post a Comment