Thursday, October 7, 2010

NO GREATER TREASURE...

SCRIPTURE

2 Timothy 1:13-18 (NRSV)

Paul in prison

Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.

You are aware that all who are in Asia have turned away from me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes. May the Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chain; when he arrived in Rome, he eagerly searched for me and found me - may the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day! And you know very well how much service he rendered in Ephesus.


DEVOTION

You know, it occurs to me that we have no greater treasure than that of the Gospel--or good news--regarding Jesus Christ!

Yesterday I met with a financial adviser; I said in no uncertain terms that one of my life's goals is to amass as much wealth as possible in order to pass it on to my children and grandchildren.

While this is a lofty goal, it is not my most important one! My most important aspiration in life is to hold to sound teaching in faith and love, so much so that my children will "catch" my love for Jesus and pass it to their children...

This is the greatest legacy a human being can leave to those whom they love! This is why Paul warned Timothy to "guard" this great treasure!

As we "guard" this treasure it is not so that others won't take it..in fact, we WANT to give it away liberally. But, we guard it so that the trials and tribulations of this life don't suck our joy and faith away!

As we persevere during hardship, let us hold fast to love and faith. Let us always look to God who is the source of all of our help. Let us boldly rely upon the Holy Spirit to empower and equip us to endure...


Let us pray: God, sometimes life is tough, but I refuse to let anyone or anything steal my faith or love. You are a good God and you are able to see my through even the toughest of circumstances. I look to you as the source of my strength and I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen!


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment