Friday, October 8, 2010

PERSONAL vs. PRIVATE


SCRIPTURE

2 Timothy 2:1-7 (NRSV)

Share in suffering

You then, my child, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus; and what you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well. Share in suffering like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving in the army gets entangled in everyday affairs; the soldier's aim is to please the enlisting officer. And in the case of an athlete, no one is crowned without competing according to the rules. It is the farmer who does the work who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in all things.


DEVOTION

I am struck by the words, "Entrust [the gospel] to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well..."

This verse reminds me that the Gospel is meant to be given away. We may have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean it's PRIVATE.

Our faith is not private; it is meant to be very publicly given away!

As we walk through life, we have the privilege of looking for "God-moments." I think of these as opportunities to share the good news with others or to be the hands, feet, or smile of Jesus in the lives of others.

I also think about the importance of being in a wonderful Bible study with others who love God and neighbor and who can sharpen us along the way!

Yesterday I was tremendously blessed as I was teaching Bible study. I realized that I was learning as much--if not more--from the people who had assembled, as they were learning from me!

Together we were entrusting the good news to each other, in order that we would be empowered and equipped to share it with those who have need.

This Gospel--or good news--is indeed our greatest treasure! It sets our hearts aflame, as the wind of Spirit blows leading us to love and serve wherever God leads!


Let's pray: God, please help me to always be faithful to the Gospel. Please help me to never be ashamed of this good news that is the power unto salvation for those who believe it! Please help me to share your love, joy, and peace with everyone that I meet. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment