Monday, November 22, 2010

God Will Save!

SCRIPTURE

Jeremiah 46:18-28 (NRSV)

God will save Israel

As I live, says the King,
whose name is the Lord of hosts,
one is coming
like Tabor among the mountains,
and like Carmel by the sea.
Pack your bags for exile,
sheltered daughter Egypt!
For Memphis shall become a waste,
a ruin, without inhabitant.

A beautiful heifer is Egypt -
a gadfly from the north lights upon her.
Even her mercenaries in her midst
are like fatted calves;
they too have turned and fled together,
they did not stand;
for the day of their calamity has come upon them,
the time of their punishment.

She makes a sound like a snake gliding away;
for her enemies march in force,
and come against her with axes,
like those who fell trees.
They shall cut down her forest,

says the Lord,
though it is impenetrable,
because they are more numerous
than locusts;
they are without number.
Daughter Egypt shall be put to shame;
she shall be handed over to a people from the north.

The Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, said: See, I am bringing punishment upon Amon of Thebes, and Pharaoh, and Egypt and her gods and her kings, upon Pharaoh and those who trust in him. I will hand them over to those who seek their life, to King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon and his officers. Afterward Egypt shall be inhabited as in the days of old, says the Lord.

But as for you, have no fear, my servant Jacob,
and do not be dismayed, O Israel;
for I am going to save you from far away,
and your offspring from the land of their captivity.
Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease,
and no one shall make him afraid.
As for you, have no fear, my servant Jacob,

says the Lord,
for I am with you.
I will make an end of all the nations
among which I have banished you,
but I will not make an end of you!
I will chastise you in just measure,
and I will by no means leave you unpunished.


DEVOTION

Today's scripture certainly offers us law and gospel, doesn't it?

On the one hand, we see the justice and punishment of God and on the other we see the grace and mercy of God...

Since we know that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, we know that it is only the loving and gracious hand of God that saves us!

This side of the cross we know that Love ultimately gave Jesus to die on the cross to save us from our sin and gift us with eternal life! We could not save ourselves, so God did it for us!

Sin is our biggest, baddest enemy, but we have others. We also have obstacles, trials, tribulations, sickness, dis-ease, and more--but please know this---GOD WILL SAVE!

No matter what your trouble, GOD WILL SAVE! God will deliver! God will help!

All we need to do is turn our faces to the one who is our All Sufficiency in love, hope, and faith...God will do the rest!


Let's pray: Oh God, how I need you! Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit. Please beat back my enemies, and calm my storms. I can do no-thing without you! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.


INVITATION
If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment