Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Who is this King of Glory?!

SCRIPTURE

Psalm 24 (NRSV)

The King of glory comes

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,
the world, and those who live in it;
for he has founded it on the seas,
and established it on the rivers.

Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
Those who have clean hands and pure hearts,
who do not lift up their souls to what is false,
and do not swear deceitfully.
They will receive blessing from the Lord,
and vindication from the God of their salvation.
Such is the company of those who seek him,
who seek the face of the God of Jacob.
Selah

Lift up your heads, O gates!
and be lifted up, O ancient doors!
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is the King of glory?
The Lord, strong and mighty,
the Lord, mighty in battle.
Lift up your heads, O gates!
and be lifted up, O ancient doors!
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is this King of glory?
The Lord of hosts,
he is the King of glory.
Selah


DEVOTION

Turn on your television or computer and undoubtedly you can find somebody bragging about something.

Some people brag about how much money they have or how famous they are. Others brag about the status of their 501ks or their houses, cars, and boats. Still others brag on their favorite football, hockey, or baseball team.

I could go on and on, but you know what I am talking about. We live in a culture that lifts up those who will brag about themselves...

But, as Christians, we are called to be counter-cultural. We are called to brag, not on ourselves, but on our God!

Recently, I was praying fervently and urgently for a miracle. I begged and pleaded with God to come through for me. I told God, when you rescue me and work this miracle, I am going to brag on you! I am going to tell everybody how good, marvelous, strong, powerful, awesome, mighty, magnificent, and awesome you are! I'm not going to worry about what people think about me. I'm not going to be concerned about if I look ridiculous as I praise you. I am going to shout from the rooftops--JESUS SAVES!

Well, sure enough God came through! And today I declare with the Psalmist, "Who is the King of glory? The Lord, strong and mighty, the Lord, mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O gates! and be lifted up, O ancient doors! that the King of glory may come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory."

Ah! Hallelujah! GOD is the King of Glory!


Let's pray: All Glorious God, you are the King of Glory! I worship and praise you today, because you are good and there is none like you. You are awesome in all your ways! I lift up my face, heart, and voice to you for you alone are praiseworthy! Please help me to offer you a praise worthy of who you are, and please help me to declare you glory to the ends of the earth! I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen!


INVITATION


If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaLta

No comments:

Post a Comment