Friday, May 14, 2010

Forget My Name...

5/14/2010
Matthias, Apostle
Acts 1:15-26 (NRSV)

In those days Peter stood up among the believers (together the crowd numbered about one hundred twenty persons) and said, "Friends, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who arrested Jesus -- for he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry." (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. This became known to all the residents of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their language Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) "For it is written in the book of Psalms,
'Let his homestead become desolate,
and let there be no one to live in it';
and
'Let another take his position of overseer.'
So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us -- one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection." So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. Then they prayed and said, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place." And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.


DEVOTION

Today I am positively struck by the fact that there were many, besides the disciples, who
accompanied Jesus and his disciples from the beginning to the end of his earthly ministry!

So often, I fail to remember that great crowds of people followed Jesus everywhere that he went. While we know the names of the twelve disciples, there were many more faithful followers whose names we will never know.

This gives me Holy Ghost boldness as I go about my work and ministry for the Lord. Although others may not take notice of those things that I do to bear witness to the resurrection of Jesus, God knows and appreciates my service.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, house the homeless, visit the sick and imprisoned, comfort the dying, preach and teach the good news, and lead worship as Spirit allows.

I love that God invites me into partnership, even when I am sometimes the "silent partner." (giggles)

My utmost goal is for Jesus Christ to be glorified. If folks forget my name, may they NEVER forget the name of the one I love and serve; HIS NAME IS JESUS!

Today, will you make up your mind to love God and neighbor humbly and without recognition?


Let us pray:

Lord God, thank you that every moment of my life is known and remembered by you. I do not have to receive the accolades of man. I only strive to make you smile. I pray that you are happy with the work of my hands and heart. I love Jesus and thank You for allowing him to die on the cross to forgive me of my sin and make provision for my eternal life. I want to share our love with others. Please help me to be faithful to do this. I pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen.

INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL




No comments:

Post a Comment