Thursday, May 13, 2010

Get Moving!

SCRIPTURE

Ascension of Our Lord
Acts 1:1-11 (NRSV)

Jesus sends the apostles

In the first book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus did and taught from the beginning until the day when he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. After his suffering he presented himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. While staying with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. "This," he said, "is what you have heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?" He replied, "It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."


DEVOTION

Today, we remember the Ascension of our Lord. This is the day that we recall the moment when Jesus was lifted up into heaven!

After reading this scripture I was suddenly so grateful that Jesus spent 40-days on earth after his resurrection!

It is easy to forget these 6.5 weeks in the life of Jesus; but we must not! Our Savior chose to reveal himself to many, many people so that there could be no doubt that he was the Risen Lord!

As a result, all of those people who saw Jesus, took their testimonies into the world--and one person told another who told another unto this present day!

I know that I am only a Christian today because many people chose to boldly share the news of the resurrection with me! (Praise God for them!)

Today, I take to heart the words of the two men in white who said to the disciples, "why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."

This is wonderful good news, but it is also an encouragement to get moving!

We have a good news story to tell. We have the blessed opportunity to tell people that "Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ shall come again!"

As we share our testimonies, may others come to believe in The One whom we love and serve!

AMEN! So be it...


Won't you pray with me?

Holy One thank you for Jesus' life, death, and resurrection! Thank you that Love gave Jesus to die on the cross to save me from my sin and gift me with eternal life! Thank you that you have given me the opportunity to share this good news with others. Please forgive me of my sin and fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I will be an effective witness for Jesus. I pray this in His Name, Amen.


INVITATION

If you have questions about how to become a friend and follower of Jesus, please see the devotion entitled, “Come to Jesus” @ http://bit.ly/JVhaL

No comments:

Post a Comment